WASHINGTON — There are annual spending figures for President Trump’s promised $1 trillion infrastructure plan in the budget proposal the White House will issue on Tuesday.
Documents the Trump administration released Monday to reporters show the White House wants $5 billion of spending on the program in the upcoming 2018 fiscal year, which begins Oct. 1. That amount would rise in the following years, cresting at $50 billion in 2021, before gradually sinking back to $5 billion in 2025 and 2026.
The budget proposal is just that—a proposal. To what degree Congress is willing to go along with the spending levels the president has suggested is an open question.
Proposed spending levels for president Trump’s infrastructure initiative
Of the $200 billion in federal spending on the infrastructure initiative that the president would like to see between 2018 and 2027, $160 billion would be front-loaded between 2018 and 2022.
Trump has voiced support for a $1 trillion infrastructure plan that would involve both public and private investment. Administration officials have said in recent weeks that the White House would back a program that involves $200 billion of direct federal funding.
The infrastructure proposal remains a work in progress for the Trump administration.
U.S. Transportation Secretary Elaine Chao said last week that new details about it could be out before the end of May.